Saturday, February 20, 2010

I wish I were at the beach...


Alright so here's the thing. I'm supposed to write in my journal about my art process. Well, whenever it comes time to write in my journal I'm just s tired that I don't WANT to! Which is bad... So, here I am typing and sharing some of my ideas for Senior Show.
So my show started out as having a somewhat vague subject (something and the heavens and earth and how they're all connected etc) that I was having a hard time thinking of depicting. The other dilemma I was faced with is how big to make my prints (to then be turned into books).
Then one day in printmaking class one of the girls saw one of my experiment prints and said that it reminded her of Mythology. Then I went to see Lightning Thief and got a sudden epiphany while trying to sleep at 3am in the morning. Polynesian Mythology!!!!
So here I am FINALLY with a subject that I find really interesting, and I'm excited to do it! I can use the same style I've BEEN doing and expound upon it. So I picked six of the gods/goddesses from Polynesian mythology and I will make prints out of their stories. Not exact depictions, but kind of abstract. Of course I am in a state of "flux" as Crawford states, and this idea could change or evolve further. But here's some pictures to get the creative juices flowing.
The picture on the top is of Maui. He's well known for his hook, and legend says that he pulled the North Island out of the water like a fish. Hence you see a lot of Hooks in Maori culture. And how could I NOT do something from New Zealand?
Then there is Tangaroa, god of the sea. He's very important to all Polynesian cultures (hmmm, I wonder why?)
Tawhiri is god of storms etc. Of course all of these gods are related in some way.
Tane is god of the forest. Tangaroa, Tawhiri and Tane are all connected. Apparently Tangaroa created fish and reptiles, and dislikes Tane because half of his children went to live with him on land (or something like that). And Tawhiri dislikes both Tane and Tangaro for splitting up their parents Rangi and Papa, hence his angry winds.
Pele, goddess for fire, volcanoes etc. I like to think of her as the Hawaii side of the mythology, and how could I not represent Hawaii in some way?
And of course Rangi and Papa, the creators. Apparently their were in a tight embrace and were separated by Tane and some of their other children, this creating the heavens/sky and earth. So in a sense Papa is mother earth.

Another one I am considering is Ta'aroa, who is from Tahitian mythology. Apparently there was chaos, and he created the heavens and earth from a cosmic egg. Sounds funny, I know, but it would be really cool to depict that! :)

So those are the ideas I'm running with at the moment. I start my first print this week!!!! AHHH!!! April 15 is when Senior Show opens, and I have myself scheduled to be done the first week in April. Wish me luck!











No comments: